Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday 24 May 2016

GenkiJACS Tokyo review

Reposting this review of a Japanese school from a forum post.

I think GenkiJACS Fukuoka/Tokyo are not very different except that at the Tokyo school there are more short-term students, and more students in general. I studied there for 5 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks in the winter.



Advantages
-Courses are aimed towards speakers of European languages, as opposed to other schools where there may be a lot of Chinese and Korean speakers. At lower levels this makes a big difference.
-The reception staff are very helpful and speak English well. If you have a problem during your stay (e.g. I dropped my wallet at one point…) they can help you out.
-The school will arrange accommodation for you if you want. Probably quite a bit pricier than finding a place by yourself. In the summer I stayed in a sharehouse with both Japanese people and various foreigners, that was what made my stay so fun and memorable. I’d recommend that option. In the winter I was in a one-room apartment. I already had friends so it suited me well, but it could be isolating.
-Teachers are very friendly and have a sense of humour. Generally they speak English well.
-Class size was between 2 and 8 people, usually about 4, so you get opportunities to speak and ask questions.
-Friendly and social atmosphere. They arrange a dinner or similar every week for the students (about 2000 yen), occasionally they organise other events or trips.

Disadvantages
-I found that they concentrated on a few grammar points per week but didn’t come back and review them except when they happened to come up later. In this sense you have to take some responsibility for using what you’ve learnt so you don’t forget. This approach didn’t suit me because I have a very good short-term memory and didn’t need to practise one or two verb forms repeatedly for a whole week; I’d rather go quickly and have more reviews.
-They tend to stick quite rigidly to the material in the textbook.
-At lower levels they spent too little time on kanji (well, they were just following the Genki books and they are very slow at teaching kanji…)
-In the summer I had trouble with some other students in my class who were rather disruptive (fortunately they left after a couple of weeks). Most students there are short-term and might not be as serious as you about learning.

Whether it’s “intensive” or not depends what you’re used to I guess. These are the only formal Japanese lessons I’ve ever had so it’s hard for me to say. At beginner level they cover about 1 chapter of Genki per week, but it is possible to repeat levels if you can’t keep up the pace.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, thank you for your review. May I ask why you chose this school? Would you recommend it to others?
    I'm thinking of studying at the Fukuoka branch for 10 weeks next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I chose this school mainly because it is flexible and allows you to choose dates of study that suit you. Also because they can arrange accommodation.

      I would recommend it to people who want a fairly relaxed and informal approach to studying, and are primarily visiting Japan to enjoy themselves/ as a tourist. The course is not very demanding and there isn't much homework. If you are looking for an intensive program or one that will get you to a high level very quickly this is probably not the right school for you.

      By the way I only studied in Tokyo but I'm guessing the course in Fukuoka is pretty similar.

      Delete
  2. Hotel Las Vegas - Mapyro
    Find the best and newest Las 양주 출장샵 Vegas hotel 강릉 출장샵 deals at Mapyro. Find the best deals on Hotel 수원 출장샵 Las Vegas 용인 출장마사지 and complete 경기도 출장안마 your search. Earn free hotel

    ReplyDelete